Thursday, April 27, 2006

I'm Back

It's been months since I last wrote. Just haven't had much time lately. But, I miss everyone.

The week the Sound of Music was over, Frank's sister called needing help with his mom, who has lived with her for the past 15 years. His sister had just had knee surgery and couldn't cope with his mom, who came down with a severe flu. She seemed to lose all control and needed help with eating, getting dressed...etc. So...I wound up going to help, which was actually a blessing...spending so much time with her. She became so weak, she was hospitalized and while recuperating in a rehabilitation center, Edie suffered a blood clot. By the time they called us to return, she was in a coma-like state, hooked to machines. Four days later, she passed away. It was totally unexpected as she was getting better and growing stronger.

This past weekend, I taught at a women's retreat, which was such a welcome treat. It was at a "summer home" on a Lake. About 22 women attended all together. So, for weeks there was a lot of preparing to do for our "Extreme Makeover" weekend...(God's Desire for a Radical New You!) Not only was it a wonderful time spent with lots of incredible women, but...I still can't believe it...made my debut playing guitar for worship. Holly, who was a fellow "nun" in the Sound of Music, played keyboard for worship, but...I was able to accompany her - with my very limited skills on the guitar Frank bought me years ago. I picked it up in February...and voila...I'm actually playing it...and really enjoying it.

This Sunday, we're (with Frank on the Sax) leading worship at a local church,then on Thursday for a local county event for "The National Day of Prayer."

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi. REally, I just wanted to get that "Yikes" word off the heading of my blog. They closed the case after a short investigation, by the way, and replaced the money.

4 comments:

GrandPooOfAwesome said...

Wow, it's been a long time. Sounds like you're having an eventful year. I wish I was better with the guitar. I took lessons for a while and gave up tackling the hard chords.

I visited a church for a while. I guess I'm still visiting. I like the church, but, you know, I'm not very ready to "jump back in" and feel like I'm expected to live an exemplary life. I'm SO, SO flawed it's ridiculous. I like the church, but it's hard when the pastors are calling you weakly wanting to "do lunch and talk about the church's vision and how I can get plugged in" and the "single man" in the church is calling three times a week. It's too much!

I don't know. They're just not letting me ease back into it.

Oh well, too much information I guess. :)

Melanie said...

Hey Poo,

Nice to hear from you :) Cool picture too!

You know, if you think people in that church you're "visiting" are flawless...well...you'd probably be very surprised to know how many are imagining that your life is "flawless" and they don't measure up. I'm serious!

Funny you would use that term. One of the sessions I did over the "Extreme Makeover" weekend retreat (a presentation of the gospel using a literal makeover as a metaphor) was "Flaws from the Fall" We had fun, yet also discovered some surprising things about ourselves.

As far as the church thing goes, no matter what you do, guess you can't win; people complain that our pastor NEVER calls anyone. (except in times of crisis, of course) This guy is so secure in "who God says He is" he even encourages us to "stay home" if we're exhausted, stressed...whatever. "Shoot, there's been times I'd stay home myself if I wasn't the pastor!" :):) He says that coming or not coming to church (the building) doesn't change who you are in Christ.

Now, you would think this is a license for everyone to go haywire and do whatever they want, yet...yet, a funny thing happens with this kind of freedom...people are "free" to really enjoy who Christ is, what He's done, and who He says we are, (Eph 1) without the weight of whether we're living up to somebody else's standard of an "exemplary life". The "real deal" is so much more natural, if you know what I mean.

It's always good to "talk" to you, Miss Poo. Hope you're having a great weekend :):) It's beautiful here in VA.

Melanie

Jojo said...

Melanie!!
I'm so glad to see you post something. I am so sorry to hear about your mother-n-law. Please accept my sympathy and my apology for not keeping in better touch. I visit your site frequently to see if you've posted anything new - then I think, I need to call her and check and make sure everything is ok....Guess I'm not too good at following thru on the second part.

So glad to know you are still serving the Lord (like I ever doubted that) Sounds like the women's retreat was special.

Glad to know you are now playing the guitar. Your talents never cease to amaze me. Coming back in IN anytime soon? I hope so!

Anonymous said...

Hello Melanie,

It has been a while, I saw you stopped by the other day. I wanted to say hello.

Jeremy