Monday, November 28, 2005

Yikes! It Happened to Me!

I always thought those commercials were clever, not really thinking about the reality of it. You know the ones? Where the tough guy is talking about shopping for his party dress, complete with a female voice-over? Or the girl with the man's voice? They're talking about all the fun they've had at someone else's expense?

Well...you got it! It happened to me and all I could see was some guy with my voice (with a thick NY accent) talking about how he was enjoying his new computer or office equipment from Staples (or whatever they spent almost $800 on), all the latest cosmetics at Sophora's ($500 worth),his new Banana Republic wardrobe, the latest tunes from NY City's Music Land, and of course all this over dinner in China Town and goodies at lots of other places all over the "big Apple." All in all...this person enjoyed themselves (on us) over the course of a weekend to the tune of almost $3000. I don't think I have to tell you... that commercial is not so funny right now.

Who knows? maybe I'll pass it on when it becomes one of those "looked back on stories" and we learn something spiritual from it. As a matter of fact, maybe we are learning something... because right now...it's kind of creepy how it actually "feels" like somebody came in your house and went through your stuff. So, spiritual lesson #1...letting the "Jesus" in me pray for God's love, grace and mercy on this person when the "Melanie" in me would really rather not. :):)

2 comments:

Jojo said...

Well to put it really simply - THAT SUCKS!! I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you. Any ideas how? Did they steal your card or do you think they got the info online somehow? Did you have one of the great CC's that cover that kinda thing?

Melanie said...

Hey Jojo...
This is the creepy thing...my card was not stolen, however my card WAS swiped through the machine. So...seems someone made a card with all my info and name on it. The way it works though the bank is that the money is "temporarily" replaced upon further investigation. So, they must conclude that it was fraud. Otherwise, I guess they take their money back. But, he says that it depends on how it was reported, etc. So, I don't think there will be a problem.

The whole thing is just really wierd. I did a little reading on this the other night and it says that a high percentage of this stuff comes through people you know. I hope that is not the case. Now, THAT would be really creepy.