Monday, April 25, 2005

Welcome to My New Blog

Welcome to my own piece of cyberspace. Looking forward to making new friends and getting to know old ones better. I actually wanted to start blogging yesterday. I don't know if it was the weather or what, but I had a sinus headache! I forgot how consuming those things can be. There was a time when I barely knew what it was like NOT to have one. Even wound up in the emergency room a few times with pounding headaches that could last 3 days. So when my friend Linda told me about the whole Yeast/Candida thing, I was desperate enough to try it. I'd try anything!

After doing a little research myself, it seemed to make sense. The basic idea is this; if lots of antibiotics or in my case, two rounds of Interferon (injections 3 times a week of a chemical therapy for self-administered for Chronic Active Hepititus C) were part of your life for the purpose of 'killing' something in your body. (Bacteria, virus, etc.) then chances were it also killed the good bacteria your system needs to fend off an overgrowth of yeast or Candida. These things can cause a whole boatload of wacko things in your body, including Fibromyalgia (One of those vague and mysterious illnesses I've been diagnosed with, though I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I tend to believe it's simply a name that doctors use for any symptom they don't understand) and Sinus Headaches. Those Sinus Headaches were worth going out and gathering all the materials Phase I of this diet called for. And I did! I began drinking water...lots and lots of water. I went out and bought the Candi-Gone, and Rice cakes, strawberries, Flax seed oil, garlic, olive oil, brocolli, tomatoes and dropped all bread and sugar - Cold Turkey! This was a tough one for me, since I drank Pepsi's and about 6 cups of tea-syrup (two heaping teaspoons in one cup of Lipton Tea w/lemon) by noon on any given day. I immediately got deathly ill for about a week, but then, I not only started feeling much better, but I lost 20 lbs. And guess what? Wavering around 5 lbs or so, I've kept it off. Though I'm not as strict as the first phase of the diet, it's actually become a brand new way of eating and feels more like a habit than a diet. Oh, and my son has suffered all his life from ear and sinus infections. Since he was a baby, he's been on every antibiotic ever made. When he started the diet, he was going to an allergist for shots and taking prescriptions for allergies and his ears. He also started feeling better and actually stopped medication and the shots. He also lost about 20 lbs.

I just thought there might be some people reading this who may be suffering from Sinus infections, Ear infections or allergies who may benefit. Heres a few sites that may offer more help. http://www.panix.com/~candida/ http://www.paleofood.com/, http://www.choosehealth.net/10.html

Here are some recipes that were very good and easy to make. Snack food also seemed to do the trick; if I had stuff around that I could just grab and eat, I found it much easier to stick with it.

No comments: