Thursday, April 28, 2005

Real Christianity

I ran into Joseph the other day. Never met the guy in my life before, now I run into him twice in a week.

I met him for the first time at the meeting last week to join in prison ministry. Always wanted to do this, since the only difference in myself and lots of people in there (particuarly women) is the fact that I didn't get caught doing some of the same stuff they're sitting in jail for. But, I have to tell you that's not the only reason I was glad to be at this meeting the other day. Still gives me goose bumps...the simple, yet seriously profound message all wrapped up in Joseph, as he spoke to us about the impact of Jesus Christ on his life.

Incarcerated for 15 of his 40 years for mostly theft and drugs, this guy shared how he'd used, and abused people and things to get whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted...did anything to get his own way. BUT...when Joseph got to the part about finding out what Jesus Christ had done for him even in the midst of his selfishness, how He'd forgiven him and given him hope...this great big teddy bear of a guy cried like a baby. He became so overwhelmed, he had to stop. To hear his past and see the genuine tenderness and vulnerability in this man's face moved my heart, I have to admit, a lot more than many of the church services I've been in. (I didn't say all...I said "many")

However, Joseph wasn't there to share his story just to tell us about what God had done in his life. He was there with a sobering urgency, encouraging this group...no almost imploring us...to
"please, please, don't give up," he begged still in tears, "I know it's a beautiful day and you all could be home with your families...I knew that even when I was in jail." he spoke directly to some who'd met Joseph in prison. "Come on people," he continued seriously, but tenderly. "Jesus is real! What you're doing matters...But, please don't stop taking this hope, this light...into such a dark place. Please." He ended softly.

Wow! His apparent love for his fellow offenders was so very genuine, I could hardly contain the tears while telling him how he blessed me with his story. Surprised him I know with the fact that I could relate, cause I know I maybe look like your average, middle age, PTA lady, so it's probably hard to imagine some of the stuff lurking in my past. But that's just it...it was my 'past' and there couldn't be a more compelling message about the transforming power of the gospel from the most intelligent of the intelligent theologins. (sp?) Just reminds me of that verse in 1Corinthians 1; "Think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things - and the things that are not - to nullify the things that are - so that no one can boast..."

Heck, I think we're all going to be surprised when it's all over.

I hope I run into Joseph again sometime.

No comments: