Monday, May 02, 2005

Stunned by Grace

We went out to dinner the other night..to Carabbas...great food, wonderful friends...had a great time...but, once in the car to go home...Frank is quiet after commenting something about my passion. Uh, oh...Passion??? i realize, not the first time either, that I talk way too doggone much! I have a habit of doing that and then going over and over it in my head. Honestly, I really do try to be graceful, make a sincere effort to keep conversation uplifting, inspiring, I tell you what, it can go south in a New York minute.
Is this only me? And why is it? Well...I can only speak for myself as to why...sometimes I simply feel it's MY duty to fill an awkward silence. Other times, I have more insidious motives; I want people to get where I'm coming from, I want to state my case, defend my choices, display my knowledge, articulate my point, express my view. Starting to see a common denominator? This is probably the coolest thing about "blogging"; you get to see the words... before actually spewing them all over the place. But even then, I can look at what I've written and think "Shut UP MELANIE"

Blogs in themselves are our own thoughts and views expressed so all can see. I've been on a Christian one lately that has drawn a lot of people with, let's just say, very different views...mostly due to a kind of bizzare thing that would have never happened before blogging... a challenge extended to a well known celebrity who also happens to be a leader of this other view and has a blog of her own. While some try to reason their points with politeness and respect, others get downright nasty. Both sides. Stay on these things long enough, you can just sense the frustration...each side trying to find just the right words, make just the right argument that will suddenly change the hearts and minds of those who don't agree. It can 'bloggle' your mind!


This morning, thinking...praying, meditating, realizing I was using way too much "I and me," which is way too much pressure. Went back to looking at Jesus, his reactions to people. Never argued, at least not with everyday people, only the religious. Can you just imagine? The leper, the woman caught in adultery, the blind guy, the woman at the well who was married 4 or five times, the horrible tax collector (not much has changed there, huh?), the thief on the cross, the Roman centurion, etc, etc, all their lives, so near, yet so outcast to the synogogue, branded unholy by the religious. Can you just imagine the surprise, no the shock...when the very ONE who fulfilled the very religion the religious claimed to represent did the totally unexpected? Arguing, rebuking, judging, condescending...that they could understand. That's what they'd come to expect from religion. But this strange, yet profoundly confident young rabbi seemed to delight in singling out the least likely, the isolated, the hopeless, the unacceptable, the unlovable, the unholy. Never once in those unlikely encounters did Jesus ask them to clean up their act and then He'd think about hanging out with them. He never tried to change their view of religion, or reason with their behavior. In fact, He didn't seem as concerned with their behavior as touching their heart. What a scandal it all must have been. He even had the irreverence...the audacity to address God as Father. Too personal...blasphemous, actually. The fear this must have instilled...fear enough to kill Him. And how did He react to this opposition? He didn't come up with pithy one-liners to try to prove His way was the right way, or even get frustrated when others refused to see His point of view, He didn't argue or defend Himself even when they spit on Him, crowned Him with thorns or put a blindfold on Him and hit Him in the face. He didn't protest or complain about His unfair treatment even when they nailed His hands to the cross and He hung there, bloody and beaten beyond recognition, alone, betrayed and abandoned. Sometimes in the familiarity of the crucifix, we gloss over the hideously mangled body of God in the flesh, the epitome of what His own creation was capable of? Yet, could crucifixion have just as easily entailed nailing the victims hands to their sides? Was it a coincidence or are His arms stretched out on that cross on purpose? Accentuating His invitation? "come," "all you who are tired and weary...come to me"


Oh, but, for those on the receiving end of His touch, to those who've accepted the offer, the invitation of His mercy...I can not only imagine...I do know how they must have felt.... So do others...

A brochure explaining a new resource center for women coming out of prison ends with a personal note by the founder. I never noticed it before. An ex-offender herself, she has closed the letter, "Stunned by His grace" I love it! The perfect description of another new friend who invited me to a luncheon yesterday. She's an awesome vocalist, the lead singer in a local, hometown band, talented enough for something more, but yesterday, I was moved to tears by the words she powerfully, yet humbly delivered "Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth, would seek to know my name?" ...vulnerably beautiful, still obviously reeling from the surprise that she should dare run into those same outstretched arms. I'm so glad she asked me to come.

We, in the "stunned club" are not the first, we won't be the last to realize this is no predictable and rote religion, but God turning the world upside down. There's nothing to argue about. The reality of His mercy is just too precious. Slave-trader Mr. Newton (can't remember his first name) was so moved by this unexpected mercy, we're still singing his words "Amazing Grace, How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me."

Still, I'm curious and read the blogs...the celebrity seems to have a lot of passionate opinions and vents a lot of frustration, particuarly with Christians. Yet, she makes an interesting comment about her born-again in-laws. (Hmmm...don't you love God's sense of humor?) She admits a rant over her mother-in-law's political stand. One in which she vehemently disagrees on. The mother-in-law lets her go on...then lovingly changes the subject. Her desire to love is obviously stronger than her desire to be right. The star doesn't even realize it's not her born-again mother-in-law she's drawn to, when she admits to being surprised that she likes this woman...Can't help thinking I like her too.

Once again, another argument on another blog about your truth, my truth, your way, my way...hmmm...should I post just one post....just one clever enough argument to prove that if the bible's truth isn't THE truth, if Jesus isn't the only way, than there's nothing to hold onto...the change in my life and all the other 'stunned club' members lives are built on an illusion...and...and...
Melanie..., just shut UP!!!! :)

4 comments:

mamalicious said...

I like what you've written here. I think you get where I'm coming from and I appreciate it very much. You'll reach many more people with your approach. Thanks.

Clandestine said...

I second mamalicious (everyone's shocked we agree again, I'm sure). I wish you would post on the 'other blog' more often!

Jojo said...

Melanie - what a sensitive heart you have - how wise your words. I liked what you wrote on the other blog and came over to check out yours. I'm a hairdresser - hoping to be an "Ex"one some day. Getting to my back big time. Just had my 19th anniversary of having my shop opened. Just a small one in my home - but boy does time fly! I am disappointed to see your beautiful writing and no comments. Just wanted to say hello and tell you I appreciate your heart for the Lord.

Melanie said...

Hey y'all

Thanks for reading my stuff. I appreciate the invitation, Annon. I see no point in arguing. :):) My faith is just way too precious. I'm also not that daggone smart...I only have a degree in hairdressing, you know. Matching wits with me hardly poses a challenge...and it hurts my "blonde" brain after while.

Seriously, I enjoy writing about Christ without thinking about 'proving' anything to anyone. Guess that's just not my gift. Anyway, I do appreciate your encouragmement. And I love meeting and 'talking' to everyone. Like I told Mama...we're all in this together.

btw, mama - yes, I have read parts of Phillip Yancy's book. I spent the night at a friends and it was on their nightstand. So for about 3 nights, I read a lot of it. I really like his wasy of writing. As far as Brennan Manning...I read his "Ragamuffin Gospel" and wow! I was struggling at the time...it's such a portrait of grace, from a fresh non-religious standpoint without compromising Jesus Christ and who He is. He is so interesting...I would love to hear him speak.

Well...I'm gonna go scrape my husband off the couch and turn it in. Hope to talk to everyone again.

Love,
Melanie