Thursday, August 25, 2005

Just Call Me Sista Melanie!!!

After the audition the other night, I walked out chalking it up to "oh, well...at least it was a great experience." I knew I was totally out of my league with some of these "ringers" who showed up. There were about 20 or more women who got the "call back"; all scrambling for one of three lead nuns. You should have heard these voices...good grief!!! When I was handed sheet music and told "That's your part" of a 4 part harmony...geesh...I know my place and it wasn't there :):) I can sing harmony, but totally from what I hear...in other words, I can't read a note! :)

I was so sure that there was no way on this earth, I'd already made plans to once again, produce my own play for Christmas. In fact, all the excitement of "The Sound of Music" had given me the motivation for all the work it takes to put it together. HOWEVER...

Going back to life as usual, I was putting groceries away when my son came home from work early...

Nick: So you don't think they're going to call.

Me: (laugh) I'm positive...there is no way.

Nick: How do you know?

Me: Trust me.

This is the honest truth...right here, the phone rings...Nick picks it up and looks at Caller ID

Nick: It's Riverside!

Me: Very funny!

Nick: No, I'm serious!

Me: No way, get outta here.

Nick: Mom!!!!! I'm serious...it's Riverside...

Me: Hello?

Man on phone: Hi, this is "Bob" from Riverside. How are you? Did you have fun last night?

Me: I learned alot. :)

"Bob": Well, I'm calling to offer you the role of one of the nuns. An exta "singing nun"

Me: Are you kidding? I'm not sure...can I call you back?

Bob: What??? Well...uh...I really need to know.

Me: I will, I'll call you right back.


I called Frank because by then, I'd already begun thinking about this big Christmas production. "Are you crazy? You can see this through, then do the production. Just push it back a few months."

So, all that to say...I'm a "Singing nun" Sister No Name! I was just thinking about how incredible it is to know the Lord. I could have never dreamed to have part of the opportunities that He's given. Now, I'm not saying that getting a part in the "Sound of Music" is a direct "blessing" from God, because to tell the truth, I know it could be a complete nightmare and something I'll never do again. What I am saying though, is that it's confidence in God rather than myself that I would even attempt stuff like this. When I think of the talent that was there, there's not a doubt in my mind that confidence in the reality of God kept me from curling up in a ball or something. Taking chances with a sort of "wreckless" abandon that isn't crippled by intimidation or fear of embarassment is such a freedom...it's one of His many gifts.

2Corinthians 3:17...."where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom"

Anyway, rehearsals start this Sunday for the nuns...I have to learn 2nd Alto Harmony for the "Morning Hymn"...in (gulp)Latin...so, here we go!!!

8 comments:

Jojo said...

After getting your email, I wondered if you had put up a new post about this. Now I understand which part you got and I am so thrilled for you!! I know it will be a great experience for you that God will use for His glory. I don't know if it's about the people you will meet and work with there, or the experience you will gain for something you will later do for Him - or both - or neither - but I'm sure He has a plan. I can't wait to see what it is. :)
Love Ya!

Anonymous said...

I guess God thought that this was important, and so blessings flow forth.

Congratulations !!!

Peace,
Jeremy

Jojo said...

Tell Frank now he will have to start a blog for sure and tell us what it's like being married to a nun! lol

Anonymous said...

oh my God! Melanie! Congratulations!!!!! :) I'm so proud of your (geez, although i hardly know you)..LOL... :) I'm happy for you and wish you all the best!

Melanie said...

Thanks everyone...

It's still hard to believe that I will be doing this. Just wanted to thank everyone for their encouragement.

I have the 7-8 spot this evening in an all day Christian Music concert...looking forward to simply "singing for/to Him".
One of the songs I'm doing is from Psalm 103, "Gracious and Compassionate". I love the words to this Psalm, which says that basically, God doesn't treat us as we deserve. I don't know about you, but that is a HUGE sigh of relief for me, cause, if HE did, I'd be in BIG trouble!

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks again...hope/pray you all have a great day and weekend.
I'm blessed to have such virtual (and real!!!) buds.

Love,
Melanie

GrandPooOfAwesome said...

Fun, Fun, Fun! Your "virtual" friends are proud of you Melanie. ;) Have lots of fun.

Jojo said...

Sista Melanie,
Do you realize how long it has been since you posted anything on your blog?!! Just wanted to point out that it has been 23 days! That is more than 3 weeks!! I just thought it might be important for me to bring this to your immediate attention. I check here each and every day and have been so disappointed to find nothing new. Surprise me. Post something new!! :)

Melanie said...

Haha,

That is because you can't be a "sista" and a "blogga" at the same time. The acapella "chant" in Latin takes time. :):)

Naaa....just kidding!:) My sons are moving (one street over) and the house needs lots of work. I've been helping,(in fact, right now, my whole face is speckled with white paint)..I wanted to write this evening. About something that happened today at church. I, I promise. Just having a hard time focusing. Does that happen to anyone else? (trouble focusing?)
Personally...I think it's information overload,

Think I'm just tired. Anyway, thanks for reminding me, JoJo.
Hope everything is alright with Kristin.

Talk to you soon.