Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Catching Up!

Wow! It's amazing how much happens in a week!

Keri's Birthday; It was great!!! In light of all the new developments in the Schiavo case...we are even more appreciative of celebrating her 30th year.
My only regret; we didn't have a video camera to record her "entrance". She rolled in on her motorized wheelchair after her dad told her they were going to some kind of 'crab-feast' or something like that. When she wheeled into the center of the room, it took her a second or two for it to register that everyone was talking to her when they gently said "Happy Birthday".(didn't want to scare her) THEN...she started realizing that she knew everyone. Keri looked around, screamed... kind of like ET...and spun that chair around, nearly running over her dad as she sped back out the door, half-laughing, half-screaming! It was hilarious...can't believe we didn't have a way to record that...

Food for party:couple hundred dollars -
Decorations - 149.50...
Keri speeding out of the place, screaming...priceless!!!! :)


Of course she came right back in and had a ball. Imagining her excitement didn't come close to the reality! My sister had asked me to sing: WHO I AM, by Jessica Andrews. OUr mom's name is Rosemary. So the lyrics to the chorus were especially poignant..

"I am Rosemary's grandaughter,
the spittin image of my father,
and when the day is done,
my mama's still my biggest fan.
Sometimes, I'm clueless and I'm clumsy,
but I've got friends who love me
they know just who I am."

It was hard to hold back the tears as Keri mouthed every single word (she can't really speak) as I sang them. THEN...the DJ and I played another song by Randy Travis, after I presented Keri a "signed birthday card" (I mailed him a letter and told him about her..so thanks Randy!) from "her favorite artist." She's already sent a note thanking him. She told him "he sure did miss a great party and should have been there!"

I have to agree! It was a great party!

Kind of crazy week though...from there I was called for jury duty and had to sit on a very serious case of "abduction and rape." Learned a lot about how our justice system works...the hard way!!! with way more graphic illustrations than anyone on the jury was comfortable with.

Sunday morning: led worship at a local church. The "band" consisted of friends I love dearly and don't get to spend much time with, so it was a double blessing! Then gave the Father's Day message to women at the local jail. That's always very humbling, I guess because the girls, for the most part, are so receptive, warm and seem so grateful. Some of them are so young, and seem frightened...you can't help but think of your own kids...when they cry...they just break my heart.

Oh...and my son, the one who tried that accupuncture stuff...he HAD to go and get antibiotics as he just couldn't kick the brochitis (threatening pneumonia, doc said) BUT...now that he's better, he's been testing those accupunture "allergy" treatments. He picked up and pet the cat, which he hasn't ever been able to do. No reaction!!! Also laid on the couch, which he couldn't do before because of allergies. No reaction!!! this week, he's being treated for 'mold'. By the way,
has anyone else ever tested around your house for mold? The doc told us to get these things at Home Depot. Mold Plates...actually little plastic containers. You pour in this gel, let it harden, then we sat one outside for 1 hour...I could have lived happily ever after without knowing the stuff that's growing in that petri dish! Good grief!!!

1 comment:

Jojo said...

Hi Mel,
I'm so glad to hear the party was a big success. That is awesome - sounds like there were many special things planned to really touch her heart. Was curious about your comment about the new developments in the Terri Schiavo case. Where do I go to read the latest things. While she was still alive I visited Blogs for Terri everyday - but have not heard much since then - except what the autopsy reports showed according to the media. Like we didn't already know what that report would be.

I would love to hear more about the prison ministry on father's day.

I'm so glad your son is having positive results from the treatments. That has to be great for him.

Well, I'm sure I'll talk to you soon. :)