Wednesday, June 29, 2005

My husband's new invention

We met some friends for breakfast a few Sundays ago. I had to leave early because I was singing in another local church and they wound up spending another hour together and THAT's when it happened! What is that? That's when Frank, or somebody...and I don't think it was the wife of the other couple, came up with this new invention.
Unfortunately, I can't help but think that since I was the only one not in on this...that it was me who inspired this brainstorm.

Ok...here it is; it's called the "Conversation Piece." A wooden box that sits in the middle of the table and keeps track of how long each person is talking. When someone monopolizes the conversation, there is this obnoxious warning buzzer, which will, my husband feels, will only have to go off a few times before eventually keeping talking time more evenly distributed.

Frank has gone to the trouble of actually designing (on paper) a prototype, complete with 3D ears on each of the four panels, right above the LCD display of minutes 'talked'. On the drawing, just an example, I'm told...nothing personal, my side of the box shows 52 minutes. His 0.25 sec. Hmmmm...Of course, I wasn't convinced that this is going to make the millions proposed by my hubby...but, he says that someone told Bill Gates that no one would want a personal computer either.

Ok, so if you can't beat em, join em, I always say. So, what do you think about this? Forget the buzzer, why don't we create a restaurant, heck, a restaurant chain around the Conversation Piece and instead of a warning bell, the entire kitchen and wait staff can come to your table and chant "You talk too mu-uch, You talk too mu-uch...Give someone else a chance!" Sung to the tune of "la Cucaracha" (sp?)

Anyway, I'm feeling like this is a little bit elaborate scheme of my husbands to simply tell me that I talk too much, although he doesn't know the half of it, since Blogging is silent :) Yet, I have been known to be morbidly sensitive. So..hmmmm...who knows, maybe he's on to something;)

2 comments:

GrandPooOfAwesome said...

Personally, I would kill for one of those boxes. I hate monopolization of conversations. I'm sure when you monopolize a conversation it's different though ;).

Jojo said...

Melanie,
I think this is hilarious! I can think of some people I would like to have one of those while conversing with - or should I say "listening" to. Actually, I think another option it should have is the "you're talking about yourself too much" warning and the "I've already heard that little gem about your grandchild" warning. lol. How about the "I don't think you realize I'm trying to talk because you're hearing aids arent' working" lol I could go on and on. Ok - one last one - How about a "That's way too much info" warning. Ok - this one really is the last one - how about the "My counseling fee is $100 an hour" warning. Being a hairdresser brings all kinds of interesting and almost unbearable conversations. I'll be anxious to hear updates on this invention! :)