Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Defined By Love

In an earlier post, "What's Your Story?" I was talking about the "stories" of our lives and how our life experiences not only form our opinions of the world around us, but wind up defining "who" we are. It's true; our self-concept is basically acquired during childhood. Children left alone, watching things, people and family become very self-focused. Without the truth or reality that we are part of something larger, we are consumed with our own thoughts, and thoughts focused solely on self will be destructive; I am worthless, useless and everything is MY fault. Some of us will be totally controlled by the opinions of others. Some of us will worship human approval - BUT...no matter how much we get, or how much we're loved by another person, it's never enough.

This is the truth in every human being; our thoughts precede and determine our behavior and our emotions. In other words, a person cannot truly change by simply altering their behavior. WE may DO things differently, but inside, we remain the same. You know what else determines our behavior? Our wants and desires. We learn very early what we want/desire and will DO what it takes to GET it. In that book, THE SACRED ROMANCE, (talked about it in the earlier post)John Eldridge, the author, challenges the reader that no matter how difficult or awful our past is, we can each find something that inspired or moved us. Something...a scene in a movie, the words of a song, the memory of a special person attracted us because of the built in craving to be loved, to be accepted. Built in because we're born with it. Created with it by God who is also the only One who can fill it.

It's true; our heart/soul/spirit was meant to focus solely on GOD, which brings complete peace, wholeness...satisfaction, etc. We, however, (even Christians) would rather focus on anything but. Even if we struggle through the more destructive wants and desires with more blatant consequences...we are constantly realizing new ones...that daggone need to be right, craving to be respected and approved of will creep up on the 'religious' of the religious. In fact, all this had an incredible impact on my relationship with my mom. Here I am a grown woman, able to speak to crowds, minister to other women... coming so far in healing and growing so strong in faith, yet one nasty word from my mother could set me back so far, so fast it could make my head swim. Then I'd beat myself up for striking back defensively. What a vicious cycle...til learning the root of it. The root being; the need for respect and approval from my mother was much stronger or more powerful than my need or focus on God.

What a breakthrough, before looking fully at the truth, I found that I'd do or say whatever it took to avoid confrontation with her. It became even easier to avoid her altogether. This is relationship based on a lie. Lies bind; truth frees! In John 8:32, Jesus says "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." This is the 'good news' of the gospel; Jesus said about himself that He was sent to "proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind and to release the oppressed..." When I could truly confront myself with truth; my own obsession or insatiable desire to be loved (my way) by her, it was absolute freedom. I was able to finally face this relationship through the filter of God's love for both of us and see her as a fellow human being with her own struggles, fears and issues.

Anyway, back in the "Stories" post, I described a picture of myself, dressed for Halloween as Wilma Flintstone, puffing on a cigarette with a huge poster on the wall that read; "S$#t happens" a perfect illustration of one who found themselves defined by the messages of the world. I thought I had life all figured out and it was bleak.

BUT...I'm here to tell ya, I was wrong! Life is not a random set of circumstances. S#$T doesn't just happen! I was looking for hope in everything but God, but everything else dissapoints. Every detail, every experience of life is orchestrated. The God who made us directs and guides, leading eventually to the place where where our faith will rest totally in Him. Yet, this picture of "Wilma" was a person who'd come many times to that place of dissapointment, hopelessness, and despair and instead of calling out to the One who says "Come to me all you who are burdened and I will give you rest"...to the One who offered life to the full, who offered a hope and a future" Instead...I'd pick myself up, dust myself off and vow...NEVER to be hurt again...each time shutting off my heart a little more...

How bout you? When you really think about it, how do you define yourself? By the messages of your experiences with others, the hurt, the anger, the disappointment? As Christians, we cross this invisible but powerful line that says we're to be defined by the truth; That truth will set you free. What is truth? It's found in the love letter to you, written by the One who made you..."You are precious in my sight" "I have loved you with an everlasting love" "I knew you before you were formed" The most freeing truth? You're forgiven and you can start brand new. There's nothing like it, no other religion offers such an incredible gift. I have a friend who insists that SHE can't be forgiven. "God so loved THE WORLD that He gave His only begotten Son..." you know the rest. That's HUGE...yet, my friend says SHE can't be forgiven. What she's really saying is that she's taken a look at what she percieves as "church people" and she can't be like them or accepted by them. I know, I had that same hopeless perception. BUT...I was excited to find that Christianity was not Potlucks, Sunday socials, political opinions and fundraisers...It's life or death. We're called to hope in an "unseen" world that's bigger and more impacting than the world we CAN see. We're invited to know the "unknowable". You cannot look at "The Cross" and deny that you are loved fiercely by God, no matter what your story.

4 comments:

Jojo said...

Another beautiful post of God's truth. Isn't it amazing to look back over our lives and where God brought us from and how He opened our eyes? Isn't it amazing to read something in the Bible, or hear someone else speak the truth and feel the Holy Spirit confirm it in your heart.

But it is equally sad and burdensome to see those who don't believe and refuse to acknowledge God's truth. I always think, if only someone would have explained things to me earlier in life. Then, when I try to do that for someone and they don't get it. I know it's only my job to tell and God's job to convice - but it just seems so difficult at times.

Like being on Stephen's blog everyday. I keep hearing how the Christian hates the homosexual and they could never believe in a God who sends people to hell etc etc. And sometimes it seems no matter how much love we try to speak the truth in - it still feels like hate to them. I can only picture them standing before God on judgment day, remembering every word that was spoken in truth, thinking, "If only I had believed." It makes me cry - it truly breaks my heart. Each of us, without Christ, is looking for love, acceptance and answers in all the wrong places. When all along, He is there trying to get us to see....

Melanie said...

Jojo,

You are so sweet. I wish we could go to lunch together sometime:):)

I know what you mean. After a while, it just seems all the conversations go back and forth...over the same thing.

Remembering back before I became a Christian, there were times when people tried to share with me. I wouldn't even want to have these conversations. You see, I grew up Catholic, so I KNEW where I was going. Shoot...if eating a "Peanut BUtter Tastee Cake" before communion was sin, like they taught me, having three kids by three different people (one out of wedlock) pretty much put me out of the running. There would be no limbo, no pergatory, it was just straight to hell for this sinner. :):):)

I remember being in the smoke-filled back room of the beauty shop, from 20 or so girls having a cigarette break...having these religious conversations. "All you gotta do is believe in God...and be a good person." one of the girls would say, in between describing her wild night before. "Really?" I asked her. She was so matter-of-fact and seemed to know what she was talking about. "Yeah, I mean...like I've never killed anybody and I try to be a good person."

I thought about it, but..."it just seems there should be more to it than that."

"Nope." she was so sure.

I lit up another cigarette...and thought about it,...for some reason, I wasn't convinced. Even when clients told me they were praying for me, they seemed strange and I thought...for what? I could never be like you!
One girl even asked me to go to church. I tried it, but people were dancing and talking strange...I couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was all so confusing, it just seemed to satisfy my own opinion that I'd pretty much knew that God wanted more to be able to go to heaven...and I couldn't deliver. It just wasn't me.

With that mindset, you can just imagine how excited...surprised, actually "stunned" I was to "hear" for the first time that Jesus might have possibly died for me too. That no matter what I'd done, it wasn't too late.

It really bugged me that I hadn't given my kids the same opportunity to know about "religion" that I had. Only I didn't know what to tell them, so when someone called us (randomly) and said they were starting this new community non-denominational church in our area, I took my little girl. (after him calling me about 25 times) That is where I thought I heard that there was hope. That God offered forgiveness and grace through His Son..and that He accepts you just like you are, with everything that you come with. As I was leaving I said to him, "wow! I think I heard that maybe I'm not that bad."

"No, you ARE that bad." he answered (gently) "It's just that God is THAT good." Even though that stung, I kind of knew what he meant, but tucked it away for another few months.

By that time, my husband and I were on the outs. The only thing we had in common was a cocaine habit...a bad one. AND getting worse all the time. One night, after doing way too much, scared and sick...I remembered what I'd heard that Pastor say. Called out to a God I wasn't even sure existed. What I expected was a divine 'whoopin'...what I got was love like I'd never experienced...I knew I didn't deserve it, but...realized it was because Jesus had taken my punishment on Himself. The punishment I DID deserve. For the first time, I KNEW I wasn't going to hell. I even slept that night, which I gotta tell you, was going to be impossible with all the drugs I'd done.

The next day, I knew something was different. I was excited about something I couldn't even put my finger on. Things were strangely upside down. Suddenly, I KNEW God was real, and all the stuff I'd been taught about Jesus was real, only without all the religious frills, you know? My view of a Holy GOD was distant and disapproving...yet He'd met me in the awful and dirty pit of despair, wrapped His arms around me, right there in the mud...and brought me out with Him. I knew I had a real DAD, even though I'd never experienced one before.

Anyway, you can just imagine those beauty shop backroom conversations after that. Something BIG had happened...I couldn't always explain it, but I tried like he...I mean, heck:):)...I knew everybody needed to know. AND the chair provided a captive audience of one in my chair every half hour. I couldn't for the life of me understand why people wouldn't just 'come on' :):):) Now I know. God's timing is perfect, and I realize that until that moment comes, when God Himself opens that person's eyes...there is no human argument that can explain what He's shown us. "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind can concieve what God has prepared for those who love Him."

Yesterday, I was reading the devotional, "My Utmost for His Highest" I love what Oswald Chambers had to say about a verse in John (2:24-25) "Jesus did not commit himself to them...for he knew what was in man." - Our Lord trusted no man; yet He was never suspicious, never bitter, never in despair about any man because He put God first in trust; He trusted absolutely in what God's grace could do for any man. If I put my trust in human beings first, I will end in despairing of everyone; I will become bitter, because I have insisted on man being what no man can ever be - absolutely right.

Anyway, thanks for commenting on my posts...I think I'll be using this one for my talk at the jail on Father's Day and it's good to know that someone 'gets it'. Isn't God incredible? That I'd be having anything to say of any value to anyone let alone the opportunities He's given me. ...who'd a thunk it?

Love,
Melanie

Jojo said...

Oh, I believe we will get our wish and do lunch someday. I want to come to VA someday. It looks beautiful in the brochures and I have never been to that part of the US. Well, I have been to Washington DC and Pennsylvania once when I was in grade school - but I was in a station wagon with my dad, step-mom and 7 kids!! I'd like to come on vacation to relax, enjoy and visit my new friend. :)

Funny, I started out in church as a little girl, most every Sunday. but by the time I was 6, my father had lost our home and his business writing bad check and we moved into a tiny cracker box house, and he moved in with his girlfriend. Mom, my brother and I went to a new church, but as time went by, we didn't go except occasionally and to vacation Bible school in the summer. But the one thing that stuck with me was there was a God, there was his Son, Jesus, and they loved me. I prayed every night but as time went on and I got older, I looked for love and acceptance in boys, drugs, alcohol, and friends. Still praying to God every night. But my prayer was like that of a catholic (please don't be insulted) as in I said the same thing every night. And there were many prayers that included, please don't let me be pregnant - If you will just not let me this time, I promise I will not have sex again until I'm married. Well, that seemed to work until I was a senior in high school and dating my first husband to be. I had an abortion. I hate to admit that - but boy did I look at it different back then. I was only 5 weeks along and I didn't really consider it a baby back then. I just praise God to know that precious soul is in heaven with Him.

But down deep I always wanted a relationship with God, and I considered myself a Christian - I just wanted someone to explain the stuff I didn't get. When my first husband and I were taking classes to join his Presbyterian church, we met with the pastor and I remember going thru the Lord's prayer and he couldn't even explain that so I could understand. I really didn't think he understood it. But still I went forward and joined and was sprinkled. But I never got anything out of those services, it was so boring! We hardly went. I begged my husband to go to my old church, but he refused. So when we separated, I took my 3 yr old son and went back. It felt so good, so familiar, but the best part was, the minister held my attention like never before and I understood what he was saying. So a few months later, I joined that church and was baptised by emmersion. I have to say, it still took several years to really get it - and that did not come until I started doing Bible studies. And the Emmaus Walk played a big part in pulling it all together. I had never felt God's love until then. That was an amazing weekend - but Satan sure tried to steal my joy. When I came home, my husband was in a full blown manic state and I didn't know what that was. I thought he might be possessed and he was totally freaking me out. But I knew God was in control and I knew if I had not just been on the Emmaus walk, I would not have been strong enough to handle it. (This was just 8 months after we had put our daughter in the nursing home) My husband was admitted to a mental hospital and diagnosed bipolar. There is much more to that story - but anyway - God has definitely worked thru the garbage in my life and drawn me to Him. I'm thankful for the foundation that was laid early and I'm thankful for a forgiving and merciful, all loving God. And I'm thankful for my Christian friends who help me grow and be accountable. Hearing other people share their faith is such a blessing for me.

Now I'm off to my sewing class. Making throw pillows for my hair salon today. Talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey melanie,
Saw you stopped by... If you read between the lines on my blog, you'd have recognized some "One day at a time" teachings, if you get my drift.

I am in recovery and a few other things.
i guess you figured that out. seeing that it was mentioned above by jojo...

come back by and join the conversation.

Peace,
Jeremy